When you work in human resources, you’ve got to be good at juggling. There’s new talent to recruit, benefits to manage and conflicts to resolve. You’re onboarding and offboarding and even crossboarding. And then there are all the rules and regulations. If anything goes wrong, you could be facing a lawsuit. An extra hand or two sure could help. Good HR technology would be even better.
The Risk of Going It Alone
When you write an important business letter, you don’t use an old typewriter. You definitely don’t use pencil and paper. You use a modern computer and word processor; one that will help make sure every word is spelled correctly and every sentence is clear.
Likewise, HR pros need HR technology. Otherwise, the mistakes could be far worse than a misspelled word. For example:
- The talent squeeze leaves no room for error. With a low unemployment rate, employers are fighting over top talent. You need to keep your recruiting process sharp to compete.
- Regulations are rising. For health care, you have HIPAA, COBRA and the ACA. Noncompliance with any of these regulations could lead to hefty fines. You also have FMLA and other regulations that deal with employee rights. Make a misstep here, and a lawsuit could follow.
- Conflict resolution is essential. Awareness of discrimination and harassment are high. If you receive a complaint, you need to handle it carefully to avoid lawsuits and accusations of retaliation – but that’s hard to do when you don’t have a spare second in the day. You need a way to free up time.
HR and Technology – The Perfect Team
The human part of human resources is still essential. Although technology in the workplace is becoming increasingly important, HR pros need to excel at leadership, conflict resolution and communication. A program can’t do that. What it can do, however, is handle some of the tedious administrative work. This increases efficiency, allowing the HR pros to focus on other tasks.
It also reduces liability. Whenever humans are involved, human error will be a risk. Numbers get entered incorrectly. Forms get lost. When it comes to benefits and payroll, these tiny mistakes can have huge consequences. Automating these processes with HR technology can prevent the mistakes that lead to liability.
Even better, with all the information you need right at your fingertips, you can promote communication, take advantage of HR analytics and make the best decisions possible.
The Help You Need
Every company is different. Your needs may not be exactly the same as the needs of another HR department. Maximize your productivity with the right tools for your unique problems.
- Is payroll eating up too much time? Use a payroll interface and time and attendance tools.
- Is open enrollment a disaster? Use a flexible online system with communication, selection, confirmation and data transfer.
- Struggling with benefits and COBRA administration? Get a program to manage these tasks.
Other tools can help with performance management, leave management, recruitment and more. Higginbotham offers secure HR technology solutions to help you increase efficient and control risk. Learn more.