Straight-From-the-Source-Blog-Header.png

Holiday home fire prevention tips

By Higginbotham on November 21 , 2017

holiday home fire prevention

There’s nothing like a crackling fire to keep you warm during the holidays – as long as that fire stays in the fireplace. In 2016, a home fire was reported to a U.S. fire department every 90 seconds, according to the National Fire Protection Association. The holiday season can bring extra fire risks.

Celebrate safely with these holiday fire prevention tips:

Fireplace

Now that it’s getting cold, you’ll want to enjoy a warm beverage by the fire. Before lighting the first fire of the season, get your chimney cleaned and inspected. Fireplaces can contribute to carbon monoxide poisoning, so make sure both your carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors are working properly. 

Space Heaters

Space heaters can keep you nice and toasty when the weather gets cold, but they can also cause fires when used carelessly. Keep flammable objects and children away from space heaters, and don’t leave them on unattended. Although you should place portable units on a flat surface, it’s also smart to stick to models that shut off when knocked over.

Candles

As with all fire and heat sources, candles should not be left burning when no one’s around. Put them out before you leave or go to bed. Keep flammable objects away from your candles. The U.S. Fire Administration recommends using battery-operated flameless candles.

Christmas Trees

According to the U.S. Fire Administration, fires caused by Christmas trees tend to be especially deadly. Keep trees away from heat sources. Use only non-flammable decorations and high-quality lights that are in good condition. Turn the lights off when no one’s around. Natural trees need to be cut correctly (at a 45-degree angle) and watered. Don’t keep trees once they become dry.

Cigarettes

If your guests smoke, make sure they dispose of their cigarette butts safely. Falling asleep while smoking is another risk to be on guard against, and a good reason to have designated smoking areas.

Kitchen

In 2015, 50.8 percent of residential fires were caused by cooking, according to the U.S. Fire Administration. Although the holidays can be a hectic time, avoid burning your roast – or your house – by staying focused on the kitchen. Never leave cooking food unattended, and use timers to help you remember when to check on items in the oven.

In case a fire does start, make sure you have a working fire extinguisher readily available. Test your smoke detectors once a month, and replace the batteries twice a year. Never leave your smoke detectors disarmed.

All of us at Higginbotham wish you a wonderful and safe holiday season!

 

Subscribe to Higginbotham Emails

Tags: Home & Auto

  
SUBSCRIBE TO NEWSLETTERS